We proposed a martech maturity strategy to help move the company toward more efficient and effective use of their marketing technology.
Our first step was to get clear on outcomes. What were they trying to accomplish and how would success be measured?
We discovered they wanted to:
- Increase operational efficiency and self-service of their martech stack
- Have a single source of truth for customer data
- Personalize and enhance the customer experience
- Mature their measurement and reporting capabilities
Success would be measured by an increase in engagement with marketing messages and, ultimately, increased revenue.
Our project team included experts in technology, digital strategy, data analytics, and customer experience. They worked closely with our client’s marketing, IT, data, and customer experience teams to understand their processes, pain points, and how the teams work together.
We assessed the current state of their martech stack, identified gaps, and made recommendations to mature their digital marketing capabilities. More specifically we:
- Evaluated client’s implementation and use of Sitecore, Salesforce, Dynamics CRM, and Google Analytics.
- Developed an understanding of the user journey (both customers and agents) and identified points of friction.
- Collaborated on the company’s customer experience vision and how they’re engaging their customers.
- Evaluated a current campaign to bring depth to our understanding and inform our recommendations.
This was more than a technology play. It was about solving problems and connecting the dots so that our client could achieve their business goals.
What we uncovered
Our client’s martech platforms were not set up in a way that was optimal for their marketing team to use, nor were the right processes and governance in place to ensure tactics were executed effectively.
A domino effect occurs in such scenarios. The original setup resulted in delays and missed opportunities to engage customers, which impacted customer acquisition, retention, loyalty, and ultimately revenue for the company. Our goal was to help mature their digital marketing capabilities in order for them to meet their goals and objectives.
The roadmap to success
We provided a martech maturity strategy, including a roadmap listing the activities and workstreams that, when implemented, would enable the client to work more efficiently and effectively to accomplish their goals.
Some of the work we did and key recommendations included:
- Recommended best practices for content management architecture, permissions, and how users access the system (Sitecore XP, including Sitecore SXA).
- Suggested key architectural changes so marketers could work faster and independent of IT.
- Provided steps to help the client mature into Sitecore’s A/B testing, personalization, and marketing automation offerings.
- Identified where the client could go a level deeper with their analytics, beyond base-level metrics they were tracking (e.g., track specific events on-site and ID users who logged in and their actions).
- Identified cleanup activities to remove duplicate data and ensure that inaccurate data was not polluting their dashboards.
Salesforce marketing cloud
- Identified which Salesforce upgrades they needed to purchase in order to achieve the goals they outlined.
- Identified opportunities to integrate data from the CRM to increase the accuracy of customer data and decrease the time to execute email campaigns.
Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- Identified data issues that needed to be resolved to fully leverage the CRM.
- Outlined the ideal way to leverage Dynamics within the technology ecosystem.